After an upgrade from vCenter 5.5 to 6.0U1 everything looks fine but the vCenter DB was still running in a SQL Express instance. Because this is an unsupported configuration it has to be fixed.
This is a designed behavior when you changed vCenter Server login to SQL Express from a Windows account to a SQL Server account. But this was not the case. What caused this problem was that vCenter was migrated from 5.0 to 5.5 to a different host. Therefore SQL instance was migrated too. Therefore two entries in Windows registry showed that this was not a bundled installation of SQL Express.
So when your DB is not migrated to PostgreSQL during upgrade, check the following:
HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\DbServerType
should be set to “Bundled”
HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter\DbInstanceName
should show the SQL instance name. Default in bundled installation: VIM_SQLEXP
- Check vCenter that connects to DB using a Windows account. To do so, look at DSN configuration.
- To get more even sure DB will be migrated, set SQL authentication to Windows authentication
- Do not use autostart of DVD, instead right-click
autostart.exeand run as administrator
- When the upgrade is about to migrate to PostgreSQL, you should see a pop-up that shows a message like:
“Warning: Your Microsoft SQL Express database will be migrated to VMware vPostgres.“
- The Setup Completed window should include a message that states the migrated DB.